The Marketing Podcast with Mike Evans
In this episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast, I interview Mike Evans. Mike founded GrubHub in his spare bedroom and grew it into a multi-billion-dollar online food delivery colossus that is a household name. Since leaving GrubHub, he founded Fixer.com, an on-demand handicapping service focused on social impact. He lives in Chicago with his wife, daughter, dog and bike.
Questions I ask Mike Evans:
- [1:46] Can you give a high-level overview of the IPO from Grubhub to what you’re doing now?
- [2;47] It was like a lark when you did it – meaning you made it because you could?
- [3:38] Have you knocked on restaurant doors and said ‘I have this idea, do you want to be a part of it?’
- [6:06] Was there a moment where you thought it was actually working?
- [7:15] At what point did you say that we have to go take the money?
- [7:52] Was there competition that you had to buy, and/or what kind of acquisitions did you think you had to make?
- [9:19] You have spent a lot of time – there are many entrepreneurs and startups that have not achieved anywhere near your level of success – what damage has that done to your personal life?
- [12:51] At what point do you exit until the IPO, which I think some people will actually say, you’ve made it now, why are you exiting? So what is the story behind it and how do you position that story?
- [15:53] Are you still an investor in GrubHub?
- [16:08] Speaking of bikes across America, how long have you been riding?
- [16:23] Have you met people on the street who know who you are?
- [18:48] Where was the best beer?
- [19:45] What can you tell us about Fixer.com?
- [20:46] Will its expansion be much slower?
- [23:25] Where can people find books and connect with you?
More about Mike Evans:
Take a Marketing Assessment:
Like this show? Click over and leave us a review on iTunes, please!
This episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast is brought to you by HubSpot Podcast Network and SemRash.
HubSpot Podcast Network The audio destination for business professionals looking for the best education and inspiration on growing a business.
Everyone is online, but are they finding your website? Get the online spotlight and the attention of your customers with Semrush. From content and SEO to advertising and social media, Semrush is your one-stop-shop for online marketing. Create, manage and measure campaigns — across all channels — quickly and easily Are you ready to take your business to the next level? see you Get Semrush. Visit semrush.com/go to try it free for 7 days.
HubSpot Podcast Network, SEMRush