The Marketing Podcast with Paul Magnon
In this episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast, I interview Paul Magnon. Paul heads Global Strategic Alliances at Google where he is building a growing ecosystem of partners that will unlock the next generation of business value through cloud and related technologies. He is the co-author of Decisions Over Decimals: Striking the Balance between Intuition and Information.
Between the flow of information and countless meetings, we make hasty decisions, slow decisions, and often no decisions at all. Successful decision makers are keen questioners. They square critical thinking with open-mindedness by mixing information, insight, and experience. In this episode, Paul Magnone joins me to talk about balancing intuition and facts.
I ask Paul Magnone the question:
- [2:17] Is “deciding on tithing” a little bit of a play like paralysis by analysis?
- [3:48] Is there a person who can do what you call quantitative intuition?
- [5:59] Can you unpack the “I Wish I Knew” (IWIK) framework?
- [10:19] You spend a lot of time talking about this idea of working backwards and being at the end of the mind – do you think it’s kind of counterintuitive for people?
- [12:39] How do you combat bias by actually using numbers to verify what you think as opposed to distracting you from what you think?
- [13:55] You spend a lot of time on the idea that you’ll get a better decision based on how much time you spend framing the problem – can you talk about that idea in more depth?
- [16:07] If someone spends so much time making a decision, does that make it difficult to reverse?
- [17:28] If you’re consulting someone and you’re advising them about this process, would you say that’s one of the benefits of this process or going through this process, does it help eliminate some of the risks?
- [19:03] Would you say this process takes practice or is it something you should actually use as a framework?
- [20:27] Do you mean that quantitative intuition should be seen almost as a culture?
- [21:02] Where can people connect with you and get a copy of your book?
More about Paul Magnone:
Take a Marketing Assessment:
Like this show? Click over and leave us a review on iTunes, please!
This episode of the Duct Tape Marketing Podcast is brought to you by the HubSpot Podcast Network.
HubSpot Podcast Network The audio destination for business professionals looking for the best education and inspiration on growing a business.